Brace is a framework that allows developers to explicitly specify both physical and logical assumptions and
expected behaviors. Brace then enables run-time checking of these combined physical and logical specifications, provided
in the form of assertions, using the physical environment in which a CPS application is running. Brace uses physics
models and temporal semantics to guide CPS developers in creating appropriate assertions and to check specified asser
tions for inconsistencies with the physical world.
Project Participants: Xi (James) Zheng (Ph.D. student), Dr. Chien-Liang Fok (Post-doctoral researcher), Dr. Christine Julien (MPC director), Dr. Sarfraz Khurshid (collaborator at The University of Texas at Austin), Dr. Miryung Kim (collaborator at The University of Texas at Austin)Publications
- James (Xi) Zheng, D. Perry, Christine Julien. "BraceForce: A Middleware to Enable Sensing Integration in Mobile Applications for Novice Programmers," ACM/IEEE First International Conference on Mobile Software Engineering and Systems (MOBILESoft), in conjunction with ICSE. 2014.
- James (Xi) Zheng, D. Perry, Christine Julien. "BraceForce: Software Engineering Support for Sensing in CPS Applications," ACM/IEEE 5th International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS). 2014.
- James (Xi) Zheng. "Physically Informed Assertions for Cyber Physical Systems Development and Debugging," International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications 2014 (Percom). 2014.
- James (Xi) Zheng, Christine Julien. “Verification and Validation in Cyber Physical Systems: Research Challenges and Our Solution”. International Workshop on Software Engineering for Smart Cyber-Physical Systems (SEsCPS) 2015.
- James (Xi) Zheng, Christine Julien, Miryung Kim, Sarfraz Khurshid. “On the State of the Art in Verification and Validation in Cyber Physical Systems”. IEEE Journal Systems (2015).
- James (Xi) Zheng, Christine Julien, Rodion Podorozhny, Franck Cassez. “BraceAssertion: Behavior- Driven Development for CPS Applications”. International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS).
- James (Xi) Zheng, Christine Julien, Rodion Podorozhny, Franck Cassez, Thierry Rakotoarivelo. “A Practical On-Line Monitoring Framework for CPS” International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) 2016. Under Review.
- James (Xi) Zheng, Christine Julien, Rodion Podorozhny, Franck Cassez, HongXu Chen. “BraceBind: Physically Informed Runtime Verification for CPS applications” CPSWeek 2016. Under Review.
- Xi (James) Zheng, Chien-Liang Fok, Christine Julien, Sarfraz Khurshid, Miryung Kim. "Brace: Assertion-Driven Development of Cyber-Physical Systems Applications," UT Technical Report. 2013.
- James (Xi) Zheng, Christine Julien, Pedro Santacruz, Garrett Idler, Raul G. Longoria. “Assertion-driven Development and Debugging for CPS applications”. UT Technical Report. 2015.